I had a regular OB appt the morning of 7/2/14. Having babies that day was not something I really was thinking about as I thought it would be another week or two. So I got ready and drove myself to my appt. I thought they would check my blood pressure, weight etc and I would meet with the dr for a few minutes and be on my way home. I did feel a few stronger than normal contractions in the car on the way but didn't think much. I had tons of BHs with my DS1 that did nothing so I assumed that was the case here. I check in at the drs office and they take my weight & blood pressure. During the blood pressure reading, I had a doozy of a contraction which they noticed me trying to breathe through it. The blood pressure reading was much higher than normal. They take me to a room and start monitoring one baby as their nst machine isn't set up for twins. And then the dr does an internal check to find I am 3-4cm already! Eek. I hadn't felt great the past two days but had no clue things were happening. I did wonder if my mucous plug was starting to fall out (but it wasn't bloody so I wasn't sure as I didnt have this happen with DS1.)
My dr said it looks like we will be having babies today! OMG! I had nothing with me. I hadn't packed a bag yet. I went out in the waiting room to let my DH know. Come to find out I never told him I had an appt that morning. Oops! He works an hour south so he headed out immediately but the drs didn't want me waiting that long to get to the hospital. I called a friend and thankfully she was able to come get me. A nurse at the office was ready to take me if needed. It's funny because I almost had my friend come to the appt with me but I was like no, it will probably be a routine appt. I guess I was wrong!
We get the hospital and I was too uncomfortable to get into a wheel chair so I crazily walk and take the elevator to the 6 the floor. I hadn't taken a tour so this was my first time being on the l&d floor. The dr at the hospital who will be doing the csection comes into the admin office & starts asking me questions. @ when I last ate, how many cms etc. because both babies were breech, they said they couldn't wait the normal 6-8 hours from when I had eaten last. (Which was right before my appt.). I get sent to triage, blood work is taken and prep is started. It was all so quick. My DH gets there and they get him prepped to be in the OR with me. I get taken down to the OR first where they do the spinal (the anesthesiologist was super) and before I know it, I am numb and babies are born. I had some nausea during the surgery and developed the shakes as well. The nurse anesthesiologist stayed with me while my DH took a few pictures and watched the NICU teams. Both babies were whisked away to the NICU so I only saw them for a second. I was sewn back together and taken to my room.
I am sure I am missing a few details but wanted to get as much down as I could. Next topics will be the hospital stay, recovery afterward and at day 16, having one still in the NICU! Hoping & praying he will be home soon!
Congratulations on the boys! Hopefully you'll all be reunited soon. NICU time is stressful but eventually it seems like a dream.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on their arrival!!! Can't wait to see pictures!!
ReplyDeleteHope your LO is home soon and the transition is going smoothly!
ReplyDeleteWhat a surprise! So happy your boys are here and doing well =)
ReplyDeletewow congrats, what a whirlwind!?! Congrats on your twins and hope your son is well enough to come home soon!
ReplyDelete