Friday, November 26, 2010

ER Visit on Thanksgiving - Gallstones

Last night, I went to the ER with a lot of pain in my upper back and a stomach ache. I tried to endure it for a few hours before going in but I could not get comfortable anywhere. My family convinced me to go to the ER (my sil is a physicians asst) and i am glad they did. Thankfully we are with my dh's family so they took care of Baby Dude. The dr did an exam and guessed it was my gallbladder right away. They did bloodwork and an ultrasound and they found I have multiple gallstones. I was sent home with instructions to call my family dr and to eat a low fat diet. We were thankful it was not a blood clot and is something that is easily taken care of (ie removal of gallbladder.) A low fat diet is no fun but I am afraid of the pain again. They did give me zofran and morphine while at the ER which helped a lot. My dh's mom took care of Baby Dude last
night & this morning so we both could get some sleep. Thankfully I brought enough formula with us as I ended up sleeping until 1pm. I had to pump because I was engorged a bit and I threw the milk out just in case although they said the medication was ok while breastfeeding. The ER dr even called the pharmacist on call just to make sure. I am still a bit tired and nauseous but much much better. Hopefully if I do need to get my gallbladder out, I can have this done while on leave. My dh's mom can come back to help us out if needed. I did find out that gallstones are very common after pregnancy. I did not know this.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Thinking of you and how thankful I am for your friendship & support.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! That stinks. I'm glad to hear you're doing better now though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yikes!! I'm sorry!! =( I'm glad you are feeling better today. Hopefully the gallstones will not return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, sorry to hear about the gallstones. I'd heard they were pretty common during pregnancy but I didn't know that was the case afterward as well.... Glad you're feeling better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks hon, I'm sorry! Happy they figured out what it was quickly and you had family around to watch baby dude. I hadn't every heard about gallstones after pregnancy either. Hope you are feeling better soon, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!! I'm so sorry. I hope it works itself out and you don't have to have surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! How awful. Hoping if you do need your gallbladder out it all goes smoothly. Sorry you're in so much pain!
    Take care xxxooo

    ReplyDelete