Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Three Weeks Old & Updates (Long)

Baby Dude is three weeks old (and one day). WOW! Time is flying! It is really hard to believe he entered this world three weeks ago. The first two weeks were filled with visitors and craziness. I have not found the time to write about my mom and how much of an annoyance she was during her visit. My dad was fabulous with Baby Dude but my mom.. well, another story!

My mom -- She is very used to being very active. My mom may be turning 70 this year but she has the energy of a 20 year old. Well, we could not be very active as Baby Dude was less than 2 weeks old when she was here and also, the weather was cold & icky so it was hard to be outside. My mom was totally bored and barely bonded with Baby Dude. She only wanted to bond when I was handing him to my dad to feed or hold. She only wanted to when it suited her time - at night, she would hang out upstairs in her bedroom reading. She even made the comment that next time they may only come up for 5 days as 7 days was too long. She actually made a mistake and scheduled their flights back for Sunday morning instead of Saturday morning (which is what she originally planned.) She was going to stay in a hotel by the airport (which is an hour away) Saturday night instead of hanging out with her grandchild. My DH made a comment to her about spending more time with her grandchild and she was not happy about the comment as she thought she was trying to be nice about not having us get up so early to take them to the airport. In reality, it was her being selfish because she did not want to get up early. In the end, they stayed here Saturday night and my DH took them to the airpot. When leaving, my dad could not stop holding Baby Dude. He had tears in his eyes. My mom did not even put down her bags to give Baby Dude a hug goodbye. I was very saddened by this as my parents do not live very close to us and we are not sure the next time we will see them. But, in the end, I am not surprised by my mom's behavior. In the end, we think my mom was not happy she was not the center of attention, which is where she likes to be. The way my dad was with Baby Dude actually helped me to forget about my mom's behavior and ignore it. (I do want to add that I love my mom and I am lucky to have her as my mom -- however, I was just not pleased with her behavior. I am not talking favorably about her here but she has been very good to me and I have had a wonderful life.)

My in-laws were here last week and my MIL is great with babies. I learned a lot from her but she was almost too helpful, if that makes sense. She continuously wanted to hold Baby Dude, feed him (as we are still supplementing) and change him. By the end, I had to put my foot down a little and do things as we need to learn how to take care of him on our own especially me with my DH being back at work. My FIL was very helpful with taking our dog for walks and making sure he does not feel ignored. My dog is used to being in daycare daily and since Baby Dude was born, we have not had him in daycare to help save some $. Starting this week, I am going to take him up to daycare two times / week to give him some activity as he is too big for me to walk. It is funny how my inlaws are opposite of my mom - they are happy hanging out inside watching TV & hanging out with Baby Dude. It was a nice week.

Stepping back, I have wanted to write about the challenges faced in the first couple weeks after delivery. I am sorry if it is a little scattered. Despite all the challenges, I would not trade my life right now for anything. Every moment of pain & tears is 100% worth it to have my Baby Dude. I would do everything again in a heartbeat!

** Tearing/Stitches - My labor was almost 32 hours in total and my pushing phase with 2 hours long. I experienced 2nd/3rd degree tears that took an hour to repair. After delivery, it hurt so much to get out of bed between the stitches and contractions that occur post delivery -- it hurt so much so that the nurse had to help me put on the disposable underwear that they give to you. I could barely muster the strength to pick my legs. It was more pain than I had experienced in my life. The contractions also do not stop - they keep going for a while as your uterus starts trying to get back to normal size. And when going to the bathroom, lots of clots just like with AF will be there. As long as they are small in size, it it normal. And this occurs for a while after delivery -- for me, I was wearing large/maxi pads for almost 2 weeks and now regular pads/liners due to continuous spotting. I was told this could last up to 6 weeks.
*** The pain/recovery was a lot more intense than I ever imagined. I have a wonderful DH who helped out tremendously but it makes it hard to move around as much as I would have liked. And it took away some of the enjoyment of Baby Dude's arrival unfortunately. I wish I had been more prepared so I could force myself to enjoy the time a little more.
*** The hospital provides a peri bottle (to help clean the area), tucks pads, dermoplast spray and ice packs to place down there for relief as well. All helped very much especially the dermoplast spray since it sort of numbs the area. They had me going to the bathroom every 2 hours at least to help recovery as they said if you do not go often enough, down there can swell so much that it will require intervention/further procedures that are quite painful. Since I was in so much pain the first night, the morning nurse walked me through everything again and was wonderful. I learned that no question is stupid and not to be shy!
*** The pain does get much, much better! It took me about 2 weeks to feel more like myself physically.

** Emotions/Crying - wow! Where do I start? The first two weeks, I continuously broke down into tears for either no reason or for just feeling overwhelmed. I remember the last day I was in the hospital just breaking down completely.
*** I blogged about this during my pg, but I was on blood thinners the last month of my pg due to a presumed pulmonary embolism. It was presumed because when I was in the ER, I turned down the CT Scan and subsequent scans/ultrasounds after my ER visit showed no clots. At first they wanted me to start on Levonox again, which I turned down until I had more time to process/talk to the drs ... although mostly it was because I was scared of the injections. They are so painful to me. I talked to an internist at the hospital who I had not talked to before and after reading my case, he said I did not need to continue meds. Then my OB came in and wanted me to start this other drug (coumadin) that I knew nothing about. Then another OB came in and started talking to me about how I needed to consult with my family dr. I was fed so much information. And it it was my breaking point... I just broke down. I was crying uncontrollabley, felt dizzy, could not breathe etc. I was afraid to tell them I could not breathe as they might make me stay longer and all I wanted to do was get home. I was so tired of being in the hospital.
*** After my break down in the hospital, I broke down into tears at the drop of a pin needle. I felt so bad for my little guy as I could not enjoy his company as much as I wanted to. I hated myself for crying so much!
*** I ended up seeing my family dr and broke down in his office as a result of the blood thinner drama. He ran some more tests and my b/w came back with high numbers like I had in the ER. He is keeping me on the coumadin for another 4+ months. He said it is likely I had a small clot that resolved itself. Scary!!
*** The nurses told me that emotions/crying/tears are very normal for the first two-three weeks. If they occur uncontrollably after this, it could be post partum depresssion which can be serious. My emotions are much, much better although I still find myself in tears at certain times (like after watching a Baby Story and this past Monday when my DH left for work & I was so overtired... I was not sure I could handle being on my own for the day!)

** Jaundice -- I had heard of Jaundice but did not really know much about it. When Baby Dude was diagnosed at his appt three days after delivery, I also broke down into tears. I have tears now just thinking about it = ( I blame(d) myself for putting him through this (as breastfeeding was not going well) and also for not identifying it prior to his appt. His billirubin level had reached about 20-21 and of course, researching it online, I saw how close it was to 25, which is the levels in which in could cause a lot of damage. I was so scared. Jaundice from what I understand now is very very common but hearing that he needed to go back to the hospital really through me for a loop. Babe=y Dude did wonderful under the lights! He originally was supposed to have an IV but they could not get it into him so I had to feed/supplement every couple of hours. He was able to go home very quickly.

** BreastFeeding - OMG. All I have to say is that it is MUCH MUCH harder than I ever imagined. I had heard it was hard but it is 100 times harder. As a result of latching difficulties & the jaundice, we started to supplement during the 2nd hospital stay based on the advice of the drs and we are still supplementing today. I had the best of intentions not to supplement & to pump. However, I tried pumping and it was a disaster. I was afraid to try again - it took me a week to try again. I started and was doing better & Baby Dude decided he was hungry so I stopped to feed him. I will hopefully try again today. I still am not sure how long I will continue with the B/F and pumping though. I want to do what is best but at the same time all of my worries/stress related to B/F are taking away enjoyment of the bonding/feeding time! I am still debating whether to call at Lactation consultant or stop all together. I need to decide this week. I also am conflicted about what to do when I go back to work in 2 months. I know my DH wants me to B/F as well. A wise friend told me about a conversation that she had with her pedi with the jist being not to feel guilty if we formula feed because formula fed babies can still go to Harvard. I am just trying to come to terms with this all and it takes a while. There is so much pressure to b/f (as breast is best according to many) and it is hard not to feel pressure to continue. In the end, what is most important is my Baby Dude!!

The only other challenge right now that I will have to write about later as Baby Dude is stirring right now. My post is so long already so I will write about this at another time.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Leslie, he is so adorable!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your little man and updating us on how you're doing.

    It sounds like your mom was a real PIA, I'm sorry! At least your Dad was great and your in-laws were good. Good for you for putting your foot down about caring for him when you wanted too. We almost have to pry our LO out of my MILs hands *lol*

    Happy you are feeling better physically and emotionally. I had those break downs for the first couple weeks too. They come on so quick and all of a sudden you're sobbing before you know it. For me it seemed like every issue was life and death...even if it was just trying to figure out a feeding schedule for the day.

    Sorry the b/f isn't going so hot. Maybe giving one appointment with a lactation consultant a shot would be a good last step in the b/f arena. A friend of mine did that and actaully ended up finding some tips that made things go much smoother. You're right though to make whatever call is best for you and your family. No one has a right to judge that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost, Baby Dude is way too adorable!! Thanks for sharing his cuteness with us.... :)

    I'm sorry your mom was acting like that. I can totally understand still loving her without loving her behavior (I think we all have some of that)! Sounds like your dad was awesome and your in-laws were helpful too.

    Thanks for sharing your stories/experiences too, I love hearing the truth about birth and recovery. I think it prepares us not to set our expectations too high only to be disappointed. I'm glad you're feeling better and I know you'll make the best decision for you and your family as far as b/f goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Dude is just too cute!! And I'm sorry to hear that your mom was being a pain during her visit. And the breakdowns are completely understandable...between the exhaustion/hormones and newness of everything can make you crazy. It will get better, I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww... he seriously is too cute!!

    I'm sorry about the breastfeeding! Like Caryn said, maybe call the lactation consultant and see what happens. At least that way mentally you can say "i tried everything". I know that I was having a rough time and a quick 30 minute visit solved SO Many problems!

    I can completely relate to the crying and the hospital situation. I think being in the hospital is insanely stressful! No one seems to communicate and you're told 7 different things and someone is constantly coming in your room to harass you about something! I'm so glad you're doing better now. THose new mommy hormones are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so much news!! Thanks so much for sharing and taking the time to write this all. Well firstly I'm sorry about your Mum. How ridiculous, honestly. I'm so glad your Dad was great with Little Dude.
    The other stuff-well I had a c-section but it was the same. I was just in shock, from the pain, the birth, everything. You sound like are feeling heaps better as time passes. Of course you are right, if you are not feeling like you want to continue B/F or if it isn't right for the two of you that is OK. I wasn't able to continue past her being 8 weeks old and everything is fine. Your little dude is the cutest!! Also you are doing an amazing job, don't forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby Dude is adorable. I'm so sorry that you've been weepy - I can relate. I still cry from time to time (and I'm 3 1/2 mos out!) because I'm so emotional about things.

    I'm also so sorry that BF"ing ins't going well. I wish I could offer you advice. But please know that you are not a failure if it doesn't work out.

    (((hugs))) You're a momma - finally!! Isn't it awesome! You are doing a fantastic job lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby Dude is SO cute!!!

    I'm so sorry your mom was so useless. My SIL and BIL judge "helpers" by the number of adults they "add" to a situation with their kids. A really helpful adult adds 1, a less helpful adult adds maybe 0.5. An adult who wants all the attention herself and makes you have to take care of her? -1. Sounds like your mom is heading in the negative direction...

    Sorry things have been tough for a while, though. I am glad you can share it with us, though. And, I hope things are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O.M.G. Baby Dude is so freaking cute!!

    Thanks for posting the good and bad -- helps people like me prepare! Appreciate you sharing everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack!!! Baby Dude is just too cute, especially that 2nd photo! What personality already!!

    And you know that my post partum experience so closely mirrored yours that I know everything you're going through. It does get easier every day. As for the decision to keep trying with b/f or not, the hardest part is making the decision. Once we decided to move on, we left the guilt behind and just spend out time enjoying Bug instead of doubting ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby Dude is so cute!!! Once again, I could have written this post too. I thought the recovery and emotional roller coaster were worse than the actual delivery. We too had jaundice and had to stay an extra day in the hospital. Then her billirubin went back up after we came home and we had to do photo therapy at home. I cried for two hours the night before my husband went back to work. Also, we had an emergency room visit related to her jaundice where I cried the entire time. I feel your pain so to speak. We also had some family drama on both sides and I am just relieved for it to be just the three of us now. It is getting easier for me, and I hope the same for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete