I have been asked to go out to Denver/Seattle next week. Ugh! I tried to figure out a way out of it but could not unfortunately! It will be my little beans first flying experience. My dr said just to make sure I get up every hour and am drinking plenty of fluids. I will make sure I have plenty of snacks, will need to buy lots of water at the airport, sit in an aisle seat and will have my drs phone number on speed dial in case I have any questions. And I will try to pack light so I am not lugging around too much stuff.
If you have any advice on traveling while pg, any would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time. I will be reading about it some more this weekend I am sure. It will help prepare me for traveling for our vacation too.
I don't have any advice but I hope everything goes smoothly!!
ReplyDeleteYou've got all the right things...lots of fluid, make sure to take lots of little "walks" on the plane and I would try to avoid salt for the few days prior as it will increase swelling anyway, then you add in the normal swelling from flying and that won't be fun. Also, in addition to the water, I always am sure to have plenty of snacks on hand. I'm a big fan of the orange peanut butter crackers because it's a little sugar and some protein for if you get really hungry...or do granola bars, some trail mix or almonds, etc. That's one area that I wouldn't pack light!
ReplyDeleteAlso, if it's at all possible, go to your hotel or somewhere (even a coffee shop) as soon as you land (or as quickly as you can) and just sit with your feet up, even if it's only for 20 minutes. At the end of the night if you are a little swollen, I've been told to put your feet waaay up, even above the headboard on the bed if possible. This should help sore feet/ankles/legs and puffiness.
I just had my first flight a week ago and I was really swollen but it was because of a sunburn. I'm nervous for my flight next week, but just remember that it is absolutely fine for you and for the baby and as long as you're doing those things you've listed, you will be fine.
Good luck! I'm sure it will be perfect!
i don't have any advice since i've never travelled pregnant but wanted to chime in to say i hope it all goes smoothly - i'm sure it will!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I hope the trip goes smoothly and that your little bean enjoys his/her first flight experience.
ReplyDeleteI traveled at 10, 12 and 28 weeks and never had any issues. The only tips are the ones you already mentioned, hydrate and move. BTW, I love in CO...if you're going to be in the North Denver area maybe we can meet up for lunch or something! Email me through my IV profile if you'll have time...
ReplyDeleteMy doctor told me to take baby aspirin because of the increased risk of blood clots. That was for a long haul flight from the US to the UK though, I don't think that's an issue for a domestic flight. Your snacks, water, and aisle seat plan is a good one!
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping for a very smooth trip, isn't it so cool to think your little bean literally has to go everywhere with you!! Good luck to you and your little travel buddy!
ReplyDeleteYou'll be fine - I flew last week at 23 weeks and will fly again in June at 28 weeks. The tips to move around and stay hydrated are great. I have one more: if your airport is one with one of those new full-body scanners, and you happen to wind up in a lane with one, tell security that you're pregnant and ask to go through the lower-tech, old-fashioned ones instead. Have fun! :)
ReplyDelete