Monday, September 20, 2010

35w5d Drs Appt - the good & the not so good!

I had a follow up appt today to my ER visit last week and well, let me say, it went well in that I was able to hear my little guy on the doppler (music to my ears) but it went not so well in that I found out there is a high probability I will be needing a c-section due to having started the Lovenox injections. I will find out a more specific plan at my next appt in a week as I now start going to the drs weekly. The OB I met with today (whom I love) said she needed to talk through the plan with the 2 other OBs in the office but her thought was that I would be induced ~ 10/12 or 10/13 (and stop the Lovenox injections a few days prior) and if anything does not look right with the induction, I would then be prepped for a c-section. She said with inductions, there is a higher chance of needing a c-section as well. So, between being on blood thinner & being induced, the liklihood is high. I am really scared. I guess I always knew in the back of my mind even before last week, there is always a chance for a c-section but to me, it was so small I did not even really think much about it. Maybe this was a bad assumption on my part. I guess I will be doing some reading up on c-sections and what to expect!

Additionally, I found out today that if I decide to b/f, which I was planning on trying, I will have to take the Lovenox injections for 3-6 months after delivery! The reason being is that if I am b/f, they can not run more diagnostic testing on blood clots/disorders. OMG!! These shots are the worst - they hurt more than any of the 100s of shots I had last year (even more so than the PIO shots in my opinion!!) I can not imagine this but I can not imagine giving b/f a chance either! The one problem I am going to run into with b/f and I was thinking about this a lot today is that there is NO where at work for me to pump. No open offices, no conference rooms without windows. NO WHERE! So I am going to need to come up with a plan to b/f for 2 months or so and then start to move to formula sooner than I anticipated most likely.

Any which way though, it looks like I will be meeting my little guy in ~ 3 weeks. WOW!!! I can not wait to meet him! I have so much to get done in 3 weeks. Pressure is on now....

And to top off my day, my email account was hacked into. UGH!!! I cancelled it and have a new one but now I have to change my email account for everything, call my credit card companies and have a credit check run soon just to make sure! Very, very frustrating!!

To end with some good news, our nursery furniture will be delivered tomorrow so this week/weekend we can work on setting up the nursery! YEAH!!! I am very excited!!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the possible/probable c-section but I'm so glad little dude seems to be hanging in there just fine! I had no idea you'd have to stay on Lovenox if you b/f, that's no fun at all!

    Glad your furniture will get there in tomorrow, can't wait to see the nursery all set up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be too concerned about the induction just because you're being induced. It's true that it does raise the risk of c-section because some people's bodies just aren't ready to give birth when they're induced but their OB's broke their water to speed things along, therefore they HAVE to have a c-section. I do know of two people who this has happened to in the past 6 months. But both of them were given what, in my opinion, were very incorrect due dates (they would have had to have gotten pregnant on like, day 2 of their cycle), and neither of them had any signs of labor coming whatsoever. No contractions, no cervical changes, nothing.

    It sounds like you're a LOT like me with your irritable uterus and TONS of braxton hicks. I was 1cm dilated for a long time before I was induced and my cervix was very mushy and effacing for a long time. I was induced at 38 weeks 3 days and it was hard but it was FAST. (My birth story is on my blog if you want to read it... I posted it sometime in March or April, I can't remember). If you're going to be induced in about 3 weeks then you'll be about 39 weeks pregnant. So I'm guessing between the contractions and how far along you'll be you shouldn't end up needing a c-section unless the baby is in distress or something (again - rare). But it sounds like your OB might make a practice of doing c-sections, since she pretty much told you to expect one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how unexpected news can affect us especially during pregnancy... it can set us into a frenzy of bad thoughts. One very useful advice I read somewhere (can't remember where!) is to always keep an open mind when it comes to labour and delivery. Don't be too focused on your "perfect" delivery or things happening one way rather than the other.. be flexible and focus on your health and the health of your baby. I keep repeating that to myself so that on the day it all happens I won't be too freaked out if things don't go according to plans.

    I cannot wait to see your nursery with all the furniture, you have to post some pics for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry! I know how difficult it is to want one thing during birth and end up with the possibility of others. As Laura said, the best thing you can do is go in with an open mind. C-sections are scary and major surgery, but you can do so many things to help speed your recovery along! Also many people think that they can't have a special birth if its a c-section and you can! You can request that they play music or the doctors don't shop talk and that if the baby is okay your husband can hold them near you instead of taking them away to be monitored. =)

    As for breastfeeding... i'm sorry about the work situation! I actually took over an empty office and had to paper over all the windows! How many employees does your company have? Under the new health care bill your company is required to give you a space to pump if you have over 50 empolyees. You may also be covered by state regulations. http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389 Good luck! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about the somewhat scary news and potential b/f issues. :(

    Glad that you got to hear your little guy and the furniture is coming soon!!!

    ReplyDelete