Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Failed 1 Hour GD Test and Low Iron

I found out today that I failed the 1 hour Gestational Diabetes Test and will be going for the 3 hour test on Friday!! My results were 153 and the cutoff my dr uses is 135 so I was not even close = ( Thankfully I am reading a really good book right now so that should help keep me busy -- and maybe I can bring our home laptop and surf the internet if I finish my book. I am not sure if there is wi-fi in the waiting room as the tests are administered at the lab in the hospital next to where my drs office. My drs office has a more comfortable waiting room so maybe I will sneak over there and sit! I really hope that I pass this next round as I am not sure what I will eat if I do not pass -- I have been eating more fruits/veggies but have always been a carb person (bagels have been my friend during this pregnancy!) If I do have GD, I will be looking for a nutritionist to help me.

And I also found out that my iron is now low (it was borderline the last time I had it checked.) Eating lots of spinach and red meat has not helped enough so I will be starting supplements tonight.

I hope everyone is having a great week = )

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about the test results!hope you can get it under control easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the test results and that you have to go back and drink more of that horrible stuff. YUCK. Hopefully the results are better the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry about the failure! If it makes you feel better I think something like 50% of people fail the first one but i think most of them pass the 3 hour! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, you probably remember but I was in the same boat as you. I failed the 1-hour and then passed the 3-hour with flying colors, all 4 checks (fasting, 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour) were way below the cutoff, go figure. I purposely did not try to trick the test by eating better in the days leading up because I wanted to know how my normal diet - which is pretty good - would do. I bet you'll pass just fine.

    One recommendation: ask the phlebotomist to alternate arms for each of the blood draws.

    I hope for your sake they have wifi! Doing work and surfing made the 3 hours pass really quickly for me!

    BTW, I'm also anemic - pregnancy twins! It's so common, plus I don't really eat meat except for the occasional hamburger craving. I'll eat red meat maybe once a month and chicken 2-3 times, but it's obviously not enough. I've been taking supplements for 3 months, we'll see how I test tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of crappy news for one day! Hope the supplements aren't bad and you pass the 3 hr CD test with flying colors =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the 3 hour test! Hopefully you can pickup wifi somewhere to help pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no about having to do the 3 hours test! Good on you for being organised and bringing things that will keep you busy! I took iron supplements for one month and didn't find them too bad.. Keeping my fingers crossed for you but it sounds like you have it all under control!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the test and the low iron! Hope you pass the 3 hr test with flying colors....

    ReplyDelete
  9. My iron was also low and I have been taking a small iron pill in addition to my prenatal, I don't notice any difference though so it really is not a big deal. Good luck with the 3h GD test! Wow, you are almost into a countdown in the double digits now!

    ReplyDelete