Friday, July 23, 2010

Non Stress Test / Braxton Hicks

Last night I started feeling more frequent tightening (it really feels like the baby is pushing at my stomach) so I laid down for a while and went to bed early. This morning at work, I started getting them again and also a really bad headache. Headache went away after I had a snack but the tightening did not. I had several in an hour, panicked and called my dr! They had me come in to the hospital for a non stress test. Thankfully, baby's hb is good, my blood pressure is good and they came to the conclusion that they are Braxton Hicks. I had a feeling this is what they were but being a first timer here, I really do not know. I have a regular OB appt next Thursday so hopefully I can review everything with my dr and see how to handle this if they continue to happen frequently. Do I just keep calling, do I get frequent non stress tests or do I just accept it as part of how my body will work the next few months? I am a very nervous nelly and unfortunately headache is back now that I am home. I might be taking some tylenol - I have really tried not to but I may have to. I am off to get some rest.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad its just braxton hicks! They are annoying, but quite common towards the end! I remember getting them on and off in the last 2 months. I hope that they calm down. Drink lots of water! It'll help! i know when I didn't drink enough water I got more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that everything is okay and that they are just Braxton Hicks. I hope they stop and that everything looks good at Thursday's appointment. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the BH, they can be scary for sure :) Mine started early - like 22 weeks, and have continued up until now. Yes, they become constant, but as long as they are not painful you are fine. And I second Emma's suggestion of increasing the water intake ... that will help slow them down.

    GL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad it was BH. Hopefully, your doctor can help you come up with a good plan to help you feel better about what to do. I am right there with you on the Nervous Nelliness. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my first scare at 22 weeks and me too, being my first, I freaked and called the Dr. I was told that being pregnant during the summer months makes it really difficult to stay completely hydrated as our body uses it so quickly even though your urine may be clear as to indiciate properly hydrated. I was told to drink a bottle of gatorade a day to ensure I was getting the electrolytes needed for hydration. Instead of gatorade, I'm drinking a bottle of SmartWater a day. I still get them but only 2-4 a day when I know I am properly hydrated instead of many more than that when I know I have not had enough water...

    I'm glad you got the reassurance though that everything was fine with baby! :-) It's scary going thru this pregnancy stuff for the first time and not knowing what things are or to really expect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad everything is OK. How scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that's scary! I am glad all looks ok now and glad to hear they were Braxton Hicks and nothing more.
    About our rug, we got it from Pottery Barns kids. It was expensive but we got it on sale so it was not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had BH contractions but I know they can amp up the nervous energy =( Hope your doc has some good suggestions for what to do. Also, hope your head is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had tons of BH's but mine were really cos I was overdoing it. I also lived in a really hot climate for awhile, which didn't help. I agree with other commenters, just try and rest as much as you can and sit down if you can at work.
    The 3d u/s pictures are amazing!! You are doing so well and you are almost there :)
    As far as calling the doctor's, I'd trust your instincts, if you are genuinely concerned call, but if you know it's just the anxiety talking wait a little bit and see how you feel. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man les, that would be so stressful ... i hope its just BH and that your OB will confirm this. i'm glad everything is ok and baby's hb is right where it should be.

    you were asking me about what i'll be taking for my ivf - i'm going back on gonal f and adding menopur. i wont be on follitism.

    i hope your headache and the BH's subside soon :)

    ReplyDelete